The Orangutan Conservancy (OC) is dedicated to the protection of orangutans in their natural habitat through wild research, capacity building, education and public awareness programs, and by supporting numerous on-the-ground efforts to save Southeast Asia’s only great ape.
Specifically, we carry out this mission as follows:
- Providing funding and logistical support to a variety of orangutan protection programs
- Providing fundign to various wildlife research programs in Indonesia that support and coordinate orangutan conservation
- Staging the annual OC/OVAG Veterinary Workshop in Indonesia where orangutan wildlife vets share their knowledge
- Providing emergency funding to help protect critical habitats of the orangutan, including efforts to control forest fires where important populations exist or supporting other emergent activities
- Improving public awareness of the plight of the orangutan and their habitats on Borneo and Sumatra.
Today it is estimated that 27,000 species are extinguished every year in the world's rainforests - or 74 species a day. Orangutans are ONLY found in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra. The population of wild orangutans has declined by mroe than half in the last 50 years, and approximately 80% of their natural habitat has been lost in the last half century. Current research suggests that there are perhaps only 50,000-65,000 individuals left in the wild.
Join us as we follow our mission to save orangutans from extinction. In the spirit of P-22 and efforts to join urban skylines with nature's edge, we are committed to helping find a peaceful coexistance for orangutans and their human counterparts as they begin to inhabit the same spaces. Human encroachment, habitat loss, and hunting are some of the leading causes of the orangutans' plight, but together we can stop this.
Donate or Adopt a Wild Orangutan today to support ongoing conservation efforts in Southeast Asia!